Subtilis Consulting were appointed to provide immediate assistance following significant damage and collapse of a mid and end-of-terrace two storey property caused by a gas explosion. A dangerous structures notice was issued by the Local Authority and all occupants were evacuated at the outset.
We carried out an immediate structural assessment of the damage and determined that it was not safe or economical to repair the adjoining property and agreed with the insurance representatives that the two properties required to be taken down and reconstructed. The owner of one of the properties resided overseas and communication was key to ensuring that the project ran smoothly.
We arranged for an experienced contractor to immediately attend to make the site safe for access and we prepared a specification for the demolition of the two properties. This had to be completed with due care to the remaining properties and we ensured that as many contents from both properties were able to be salvaged. All works were undertaken with due diligence in respect of asbestos materials present within the original construction and access was made available to forensic investigators during the process.
We introduced a firm of architects to prepare drawings for the purpose of planning and building regulation approval. This provided the opportunity for both property owners to review any changes they wished to make in respect of the building layout. We also arranged meetings with the Local Authority to agree the integrity of the existing foundations following a review of historical information.
Our involvement in respect of the reconstruction included the following;
- Detailed specification and schedule of works
- Full competitive tendering process and consideration of costs
- Principal Designer appointment under CDM 2015
- Chairing monthly progress meetings throughout the project
- Certification of interim and final payments and agreeing all valuations
- Liaison with Building Control to ensure the building works met with statutory requirements
- Energy efficient air source heat pump and underfloor heating systems
- Sound test, air leakage test, energy performance certificate
The works were completed to programme and schedule and both homeowners were extremely pleased with the completed works.
Client : Residential Owners
Works : Demolition and Reconstruction
Value of works : £ 500,000
Duration : 12 Months