The property, a mid-terrace four storey townhouse with basement, was the subject of damage resulting from heat, fire and smoke following a significant fire which occured in the adjoining four storey building. The extent of the fire resulted in a total collapse of the adjoining property.
Emergency scaffolding and propping was installed to support the property and access was not permitted for several weeks whilst the Local Authority ensured the safety of the buildings. The building insurers accepted a claim which included structural lateral movement as a result of the collapse, heat damage from the intensity of the fire and widespread smoke damage. Subtilis Consulting were appointed to progress the following;
- Liaise with the structural engineers and coordinate investigation works
- Agree the scope of structural repair works
- Liaise with the appointed Party Wall surveyors and attend joint meetings
- Prepare a full detailed schedule of works and specification for repairs
- Liaise with the loss adjusters and agree costs applicable under the policy
- Continually update and provide a summary of contract variations
- Carry out interim inspections of the works and agree variations
- Certify the repair works through to completion
The construction project was complex due to the limited designated working area, limitations of deliveries and parking and with the work being completed at the same time as reconstruction of the adjoining property. The client also took the opportunity to incorporate changes within the design to include an additional rear projection at first floor level.
Strict timescales in terms of the project programme were incorporated within the contract due to the significant cost of the alternative accomodation. The loss adjusters commented on the professional way in which the administration of the contract was handled on what was considered to be a complex reinstatement process.
Client : Residential homeowner
Description : Fire damage refurbishment
Contract Value : £ 450,000
Project Duration : 12 Months