Subtilis Consulting were appointed to provide project and management and contract administration services in relation to reinstatement of damage resulting from a significant fire. The building was a converted cast iron framed brewery incorporating eleven luxury flats. The fire completely destroyed a first floor flat and caused significant smoke damage to the upper and adjacent flats. Significant water damage due to extinguishment of the fire occured to the ground floor apartments.
Subtilis Consulting initially organised extensive investigations to be carried out in order to assess the smoke and water damage to each of the flats. The building had only recently been converted from an office building into the residential flats and careful analysis was required in terms of the structural integrity of the building and reinstatement to the pre-loss condition. Specialist material testing was organised to the internal cast iron columns to assess the damage from the significant heat generated by the fire incident.
Subtilis Consulting scheduled and project managed the necessary repair works including the following;
- Arranged and reported on the initial investigations
- Organised the structural appraisal of the building
- Arranged for specialist material testing to the internal cast iron columns
- Prepared a specification and schedule of works for each individual flat
- Obtained competitive tender estimates from experienced contractors
- Arranged for a formal contract under JCT with the building owners
- Contract administration duties for the duration of the works
- Liaison and provision of updates with each flat owner and the loss adjuster
The project was complex as the works were being completed as one overall contract but with the individual flat owners being provided with separate programme of works. Each flat owner was provided with regular updates and a monthly meeting held with the client, contractor and flat owner representatives ensured that all contractual matters were recorded and distributed accordingly. Costs were managed by the provision of a variations summary which was issued to the loss adjuster once changes to the original contract were known.
The works were completed within a 12 month period and to a very high standard of finish. Both the loss adjuster and the client were complimentary on the smooth handling and progression of the building works.
Client : Residential Management
Works : Refurbishment Works
Value of works : £ 1.2 Million
Duration : 12 Months